Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Designate a Writing Place

It must be a place with the right environment for you, and ideally a place where you never go unless you go to write...


As a busy person I always think I'll just write at home, but the fact of the matter is that I'm always more productive out of the house. I just moved to a new city, and thus far haven't discovered any places as peaceful and inspiration as the ones I left behind, but I'm always on the look out. Today I found a park not too far from my house that may serve the purpose perfectly. Right now I'm sitting at a picnic table in this fairly deserted place, with just the voices of a few kids and some far away cars. No access to the internet, no television, no family members interrupting. For me that's perfect, but everyone is different. I also enjoy a coffee shop from time to time, but only if it's just the right level of busy. I highly suggest you find a place close to home that you can walk or drive to and spend a couple hours really writing without distraction.

If you must stay home, it can also help to designate a very specific spot where the only thing you do is write. If you use the desk for other things your mind will not automatically focus on the writing each time you sit there as it does when the place is associated with only that one activity.
An old writing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment